Tuesday, February 6, 2007

tuesday

hello everyone :) and thanks for continuing to read.

we took our placement test yesterday...it was actually quite difficult. but we met some other international students (americans, italians, and austrians) so that was nice. the floor they live on is SO much nicer than ours (the majority of our toilets lack toilet seats), but hey, it's part of the experience i suppose.

people keep staring at me on the metro. i assume it's because i have short hair and don't dress like a supermodel (most women in russia look like supermodels all the time). this morning the housekeeper barged into my room while i was asleep (to get my sheets and give me clean ones) and she looked at me and said "malchik?" (little boy) and then "nyet, devochka" (no, girl) lol. so that boosted the self-esteem haha.

the other day we went to the museum for contemporary russian history, which was absolutely fascinating. then today we went to a gallery with 57 rooms, it was insane. the art was quite nice though. i bought myself a smaller purse since my laptop bag was too big to take into the museum...i had to check it like my coat and it scares me not having everything i own on me at all times.

we've been watching a lot of movies on my laptop...mystery science theater 3000 is what keeps me sane, i think. when i'm freaking out i just sit down and watch it and all is good.

classes don't start until the 12th. we'll find out what classes we get placed in this coming friday or saturday. i'm not sure i did amazingly well on the exam but i'm sure it's a fairly adequate representation of my russian skills. we shall see i suppose.

for those of you who have asked, rob is able to call fairly often (about as often as he could when i was in the US). so that's nice. he may not get leave while i'm home so we may not see each other until september or october :(. please cross your fingers and/or pray he gets june leave.

well i suppose that's it. keep commenting and emailing, i'm sorry if i take a long time getting back to you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey caitlin! i'm glad to hear that things are good with you in russia :) i'm really enjoying reading your blogs, i added this to my favorites so i can get to it whenever lol!

so you said every girl looks like a supermodel?! that's kinda weird. but anyway i am glad to hear that things are going alright with you, and i hope to see pictures soon!!! :) take care!

<3 holly

Anonymous said...

hi keke!

When I was in Spain, everyone stared at me on the metro, too - I think we exude American-ness. All of the women there were also really well-dressed. And thin. I'm glad you're still having fun - and I want to see pictures too! And an artistic rendering of Lenin's body since you can't photograph it.

Anonymous said...

im crossing my fingers for you to be able to see rob during leave!!!!
i replied to ur email btw :)
love you!

A Soldier's Love Designs said...

hey girl!!! i was gonna comment before but, at the time, i didnt have time to set up a google account so that i could! so im sorry it took so long! lol ive been wonderin if you made it there ok! i was dumb and forgot about THIS blog...

so it sounds like your getting a nice little taste of Russia!

i would love to go to those museums...

girl im def praying for that leave in June for you!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ah, your blog was being weird and wouldnt let me comment. i miss you like crazy! haha malchik? i remember i was watching Mrs. World and the girl from russia was a super model..i was like um shes 19 she cant represent russia..but she did, and she won mrs. world..or universe whatever it was. have you been able to talk to rob?

Anonymous said...

I REALLY hope Rob gets to come home for leave in June!!!! Russia sounds like a really interesting place. The museums sound really interesting. Hope your not freezing! - Celia

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, I'm glad you are having a good time and Russia and get to talk to Rob still. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed that he gets June leave. Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Supermodels. never would of guessed they would all dress like that. I hope you do great on your placement test, sure you will! I cant believe the toliets dont have seats, pretty gross if you ask me, where did they go? lol.

Take care!
<3 bethany